Board Certified – Specializing in Knees, Hips, Shoulders and Sports Injuries
Dr. Randall S. Peyton has been practicing orthopaedics in the Northern Virginia area since 1995. Dedicated to delivering quality care, Dr. Peyton is President and CEO of Arthritis & Sports, which he founded in January 1998. Dr. Peyton is an orthopaedic total joint surgeon, focused on the treatment of arthritis, sports injuries and musculoskeletal problems of the hip, knee and shoulder.
A native of Roanoke, Virginia, Dr. Peyton’s medical career began at the Medical College of Virginia where he received his Doctor of Medicine degree. He then served his residency at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he later acted as Chief Resident in Orthopaedic Surgery. He completed his fellowship training in adult reconstruction and total joint replacement surgery at the prestigious Rothman Institute of the Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia. Dr. Peyton has performed thousands of knee and hip replacements.
Dr. Peyton has distinguished himself in the field of orthopaedics and is considered both a leader and a pioneer in many respects:
- Designing the “Simplified Tensor” for Total Knee Arthroplasties (TKA).
- First in the Northern Virginia/DC Metropolitan Area to implant the Oxford Unicompartmental Knee.
- First in the world to implant the Biomet Taperloc Microplasty Stem.
- Assisting in the design of the Biomet Taperloc Total Hip System.
- Exploring Metal on Metal Articular bearings for Total Hip Replacement.
- He is the first to perform bilateral hip replacement in Northern Virginia.
- Teaching other orthopaedic surgeons ACL reconstruction utilizing hamstring tendons.
- Advocating cartilage manipulation to delay joint replacement.
- Teaches national meetings on anterior hip replacement approach throughout the US.
- One of the few in the world to remove bakers cysts through arthroscopic procedure.
In addition to his work at Arthritis & Sports Orthopaedics & Physical Therapy, Dr. Peyton is a fellow in the American Academy of Orthopaedics Surgeons (AAOS) and belongs to several professional organizations including the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS) and the Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA).
As the most common cause of disability in the U.S., Dr. Peyton passionately believes in fighting arthritis and finding a cure. For six years, Arthritis & Sports Orthopaedics & Physical Therapy has proudly sponsored The Loudoun County Arthritis Walk. Dr. Peyton has been a Medical Ambassador for over six years and was named Medical Honorary Chair in 2009.
View Dr. Randall Peyton’s Specialties:
Dr. Randall Peyton’s Awards:
- 2010, 2012, 2014 Washingtonian Magazine Top Doctor
- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 Northern Virginia Magazine Top Doctor
- 2013 Washington, DC-Baltimore-Northern Virginia Super Doctor®
- 2013 Castle Connolly Top Doctor
- 2012 U.S. News & World Report Top Doctor
- 2011 – 2016 Northern Virginia Magazine Top Doctor
- 2011 – 2016 Castle Connolly Top Doctor
- 2010, 2012 – 2014 Washingtonian Magazine Top Doctor
- 2011 – 2014 Washington, DC – Baltimore – Northern Virginia Super Doctor
- 2011, 2013 Consumer Research Council Top Orthopedists of America
- 2012 US News & World Report Top Doctor
Dr. Randall Peyton’s Published Articles:
- Peyton RS and Booth RE: Supracondylar Femur Fractures Above an Insall-Burstein CCK Total Knee: A New Method of Intramedullary Stem Fixation. J Arthroplasty 13:4:473, 1998
- LaPorte DM, Mont MA, Pierre-Jacques, Peyton RS, and Hungerford DS: Technique for Acetabular Liner Revision in a Nonmodular Metal-Backed Component. J Arthroplasty 13:3:348,1998
- Peyton RS, and Johnson CA: Amputations in Trauma p.487 in Maull KI, Rodriquez A, Wiles CE (eds): Complications in Trauma and Critical Care. WB Saunders, Philadelphia,1996
- Peyton RS, and Moore JR: Fracture Through a Congenital Carpal Coalition: Journal of Hand Surgery. 19A:3:369, 1994